I thought this might be a good time to add some more information about me, so here are 25 random things that most of my readers probably won’t know.
1. I’ve always wished that I had a more unique name… My mother really liked the names “Jennifer” and “Nicole,” but my Aunt named her first daughter Nicole Jennifer. My grandmother told my parents that no matter what they named me, she was going to call me Sarah and I guess it just kind of stuck with them. I really do like my name, but sometimes I wish there wasn’t over 1 million other people in the world with the same name. I guess my new last name is more unique than my maiden last name (Doan vs. Phillips).
2. I hate wearing my glasses because I think they make me look goofy. At the same time though, I hate wearing my contacts because they dry out so fast. I wish that I could get laser eye surgery, but after seeing the process on an episode of “How It’s Made,” I know that I will never get it. It was simply disgusting and you’re awake for the process! Yuck!
3. I LOVE playing board games like Monopoly, but I can never find anyone who wants to play with me. Tyler never wants to commit to a game that can take more than 30 minutes. Apparently my sister has the same problem with her fiance, but we live over an hour away from each other and rarely have enough to get together to play board games.
4. I miss seeing my mother everyday. That has been the hardest part about living in Guelph. I can’t wait to move closer to home again! Let’s hope that this whole house-shopping thing works out soon.
5. I have had less than 25 alcoholic drinks in my whole life. The total is actually probably even closer to 15 and 4 of those were at my Bachelorette Party. Neither of my parents really drink (other than about 1 beer per month each) and I just never caught onto the whole drinking fad in school. That being said, my husband has only had TWO alcoholic drinks in his whole life. One on his 19th birthday with his friends and one on his 19th birthday with his Dad (who really had to persuade him to drink ONE beer, lol).
6. I tend to get obsessed with TV shows and then watch every season online in less than a month. I then find another show and watch it obsessively for as long as it will last. In the past year, I have watched every single show of the following series: Gilmore Girls, Stargate Atlantis, Sanctuary, True Blood, Stargate SG-1, and The Office. I’ve probably forgotten quite a few, but that means that I’ve watched over 31 seasons worth of shows in less than a year. Yikes!
7. I love watching movies and reading books about serial killers. My only problem is that I’m extremely skittish afterwards and often have to check every closet before I can actually sleep. I don’t know what I would ever do if I actually found something in the closets though. Probably scream, slam the door, and then run and hide, lol.
8. There are still so many things about my husband that I don’t know. We’ve been together for almost 6 years now (between dating, being engaged, and being married) and yet there are still some things that he does or says that just blows my mind (in a good way).
9. I got married on September 12th and time is going by so quickly! I can’t believe we’ve been married almost two months already. Where does the time go?
10. I LOVE photography and taking pictures. I don’t think that I’ll ever do anything on a professional level, but I really enjoy taking pictures at parties and get-togethers.
11. I have a bit of a purse fetish. I own at least 25 purses and I use many of them all the time. I am constantly switching between bags based on what I’m wearing and where I’m going. I’m not a huge fan of clothing shopping, so this is my equivalent of some people’s “sparkly top fetish.”
12. My number one goal in life is to have kids. I’ve always known that I want to have at least 3 kids and I’m super-excited at the prospect of this. Now we’re just waiting for the right time to start having a family. Tyler has his heart set on buying a house first, so I guess we’ll figure things out after that.
13. My favourite colour is blue, but I definitely wear more black. I own at least 10 black sweaters and wear most of them on a regular basis.
14. I am currently ridiculously jealous of women who are pregnant. I know at least 10 people that I follow on twitter or have on facebook who are pregnant, and while I’m really happy for all of them, I’m also jealous of them.
15. I am absolutely terrified of needles. Even the thought of them makes me extremely anxious. I recently got my measles-mumps-rubella booster shot and had to have my husband there squeezing my hand. I even ended up having to bury my face in his chest, just so that I could stop moving enough for the doctor to give me the needle. I know that it’s irrational and I know that it doesn’t hurt, but I can’t seem to do anything about this fear.
16. People have trouble buying gifts for me because, on the rare occasion that I actually find something that I like, I buy it for myself. I don’t really like waiting to get things. I especially don’t like it when people ask me for a “book list” of books I want because I know that they’ll be buying them for me and that means I’ll have to wait until my birthday/Christmas to get them.
17. When I was younger, I read every single book by Lurlene McDaniel (for those of you don’t know, she wrote about teens and children with cancer and other diseases). Because of this, I truly believed that I was destined to die young.
18. I have a Bachelors degree with a double major in Psychology and Criminology from the University of Western Ontario. I never thought that I would end up in my job, but now that I’m here, I truly love it and hope that I can be in this field for a long time to come.
19. It frustrates me when I can smell things that other people can’t. I particularly hate it when I smell smoke or something similar and no one else can smell it. This happened when there was a fire in a building near our apartment and I could smell the smoke long before we had any other signs. Tyler didn’t believe me until he actually saw the smoke floating by our window.
20. I am 25% Belgian, 25% Irish, and 50% English. Oddly enough, I strongly identify with my Belgian side. I look very similar to how my great-grandmother looked at my age and I’ve always wanted to learn to speak Flemish.
21. I’ve always secretly wondered what it would be like to be a blonde. I know that I will never dye my hair though.
22. I enjoy getting dressed up to go out. I wish that Tyler and I went out more often just so that I would have the opportunity to pull out a fancy dress or sweater. I also really love the way that Tyler looks in a suit. He just looks so unbelievably handsome!
23. I am one of those “to-do” list people that constantly has a list of things to do in my purse. I also have a large one that I keep on my night stand of large projects to do (i.e., cleaning out a closet or something similar to that).
24. I wish that I was taller. I’m average height for a girl (5’6-5’7), but I’ve always wanted to be 5’9 or 5’10. I don’t want to be taller than Tyler though, so I’m kind of glad that I’m not that tall.
25. I own more than 2000 books. They are currently scattered between my bedroom, my living room, my parents’ basement, and my old bedroom at my parents’ house. I’m super-excited to buy a house so that all of my books can finally be in one place. Tyler has agreed that I can have a library of my own if he can have a gaming room. Sounds good to me!
That about sums up this blog post. I’ve added a few photos of myself and others below to go along with this post. Hope everyone enjoyed my random facts.
Tyler and I on our wedding day!
Our wedding party… the blonde and redhead bridesmaids are my younger sisters and Tyler’s brother is beside him (yes, they’re identical twins).
This is my immediate family… From left to right: my future brother-in-law Chris, my sister Kelly, my Dad, my Mom, Me, my husband Tyler, my sister Rachel, and my future brother-in-law Andrew.