I have LOTS of New Year’s Resolutions this year and I’m hoping that posting a public list will make me hold myself more accountable. I’m also going to try to reflect back on this post throughout the year to see how I’m doing with them.
Sarah’s 2011 New Year’s Resolutions
- Lose Weight – I know this one is very generic, but I still want to do it. I’m going to try to make a monthly plan today for myself and then set monthly goals with a small reward if I achieve them (i.e., if I lose a specific number of pounds that month or exercise more than 20 times in 4 weeks, etc.). My husband has also taken on this resolution with me and I hope that we can work on it together!
- Buy a House – I am getting mighty tired of all of my stuff being packed. I want to be able to get at my books or my clothes and I want to be able to cook (ALL of my kitchen stuff is packed away and it’s driving me bonkers!). I also want to have my own space. We’re really hoping that we can find a house that we love soon or we might consider building one in my hometown. Our only concern with that is that it will take FOUR months after we make the decision to build before we can actually get into the house.
- Help Tyler finish his Thesis – Tyler is SO CLOSE to finishing his thesis. He submitted it about a month ago for editing to the grad studies coordinator and she took it upon herself to re-edit the work that his advisor already did. Now she wants him to make some changes and we’re currently working on that together. We’re aiming for having the whole thing finished by January 31, 2011.
- Find a job that I want to stay at for a very long time – Don’t get me wrong, I love my current position, but for now, it’s only a contract position and then I have to return to my other position in Parkhill. I liked what I was doing in Parkhill, but I hate the 45 minute drive (both ways) and I HATE the hours (only evenings and 2 out of 3 weekends). I really want to find something in my field that’s a full-time days position. Once Tyler is working full-time, he will most likely only be working days and it’s going to be REALLY hard for me to only see him when I come home to bed every night. This resolution may be kind of contingent on my next resolution. Come to think of it, my first resolution may be kind of contingent upon the next one too.
- Either have a baby or be pregnant – At some point in 2011, I would like to either be pregnant or have a baby. I realize that the window of having a 2011 baby is quickly closing in on me and I’ve pretty much come to the realization that I will not be a mother by the time I’m 25 (which has always been one of my life dreams and goals) as I would have to get pregnant in the next month in order to be due just before my 25th birthday next October. Obviously this one is contingent upon some other resolutions. We can’t even think about trying for a baby until Tyler is done his thesis and I don’t want to have a baby until we find our house or until we at least figure out where we’re going. I would also be more than willing to give up on resolutions 1 and 4 in order for this one to happen. I want to lose weight and I want to find a new permanent job, but I would be willing to stay where I am until I go on maternity leave and then go from there once I have the baby. Who knows, maybe after I have a baby I won’t have to go back to work because Tyler will have some super wazoo programming job. Actually, who am I kidding? I probably won’t last the full maternity leave without going back to work, lol. I can’t stand sitting around at home and I know that having kids is a ton of work and I’ll probably be too busy being a mother to even worry about wanting to go back to work, but I’ve never been one to be able to deal with down time. I get bored very easily and often have to try really hard to find things to do that will keep my interest. I have been working full-time since 2 weeks after I graduated from University and I worked part-time since I was 15 before that. I just can’t sit still. I guess that’s a good thing in an employee. If only I could channel that into a weight loss or fitness program, I’d be set, lol.
Anyways, those are my resolutions for 2011. I really hope that I can achieve them. I’ve been working on the weight loss goal since January 1st and I’m already down 3.2lbs as of this morning! Hopefully I can keep it going, but I know the real reason for the success is that I’ve given up pop and snacking. Hopefully I can avoid those two things.
What are everyone else’s resolutions this year? Anything different from mine? Anything new or unique?